African fusion band that sings about the social and political situation of Zimbabwe. View Artists on Map
M.A.Z. formed ten years ago when Emmanuel (Manu) teamed up with his fellow Chitungwiza artist Alexander Mpundu (Zander).
Manu and Zander first met as back up artists for Busi Ncube and the Band Rain. (Busi's sister Phati is part of Ebony Sheikh, another featured band on Mukuru.com.) The band's name is an acronym of their names (Manu, Aaron, Zander). Manu and Zander's shared routes in Musha Mukuru created a strong bond between the artists.
Mukuru became part of M.A.Z. history by recording the first songs with their new drummer Aaron Tom. The band has performed many places in Chitungwiza: Welcome Sports Bar, Club Joy Centre, Makoni, Mverechena and in Harare at the Manneberg, Jazz 105, and Roots of Africa.
- Aaron Tom – Drums
- Influenced by Oliver Mtukudzi, Willom Tight, Reggae Burning Spear..
- Aaron is a full-time musician.
- Alexander Mpundu – Keys
- Influenced by Robert Mtukudzi, Keith Farquarson, Willom Tight. Glen Washington.
- Alexander is a full-time musician.
- Emmanuel Sojala Chimbakura – bass, vocals
- Influenced by Willom Tight, Oliver, Maxi Priest, Bon Jovi.
- Emmanuel is a full-time musician.
Don't Cry Buy now for just £0.90!
Hwai Hwai (Shona)
My Sheep Buy now for just £0.90!
Kuno Uyeyi (Shona)
What will you bring back home Buy now for just £0.90!
Ndiani Aparadza Musha (Shona)
Who has destroyed our home Buy now for just £0.90!
View all the photos of M.A.Z. on Flickr.