Frequently Asked Questions
Need some help with what we offer? Expand the list of FAQs below to quickly get the answer to some of the most commonly asked questions by our Mukuru customers.
What is Mukuru?
Mukuru is an Africa-based Fintech company that gives the emerging consumer access to affordable and reliable financial services. Our foundation is built on international money transfers – helping you to move money into, out of, and around Africa. Whether you are sending cash for instant collection or topping up a bank account or mobile wallet, it has never been easier.
From this base we’ve grown to provide a broad range of services to answer all the financial needs of our customers.
Mukuru Services and Account Information
What can Mukuru offer me?
We know how hard people work for their money, so it’s our goal to help you make convenient transfers to support your loved ones back home – at the lowest cost.
What is a Mukuru account?
A Mukuru account is a confidential account, which keeps track of both your orders and your recipients’ details. We continually update our systems and will never pass on your personal details to a third party.
- As an online customer you can place orders, view and amend recipient details, and even replicate previous orders, all online, using your account.
- If you prefer to transact over the telephone you will still have a Mukuru account, managed by one of our operators who will update the details of your orders as and when you wish to place them.
Can anyone sign up for a Mukuru account?
Yes! Anyone who is 18 years and older can set up an account.
How long will it take to sign up?
Our sign up process is easy provided you have the correct documentation, namely:
proof of ID, proof of income and proof of residency.
Can I use my friend’s Mukuru account?
Unfortunately not. To ensure our high standards of security are maintained, we will never allow anyone else to use someone else’s account. To help us maintain the highest security standards, please take a couple of minutes to establish your own Mukuru account.
Why am I asked for my customer number when I call?
Having your customer number close at hand allows our customer service staff to access your details quickly, making it easier for them to assist you further.
What is a Mukuru order?
An order is the registered purchase of a product or service that you’ve created either online or telephonically.
How do I place an order?
The easiest way to place an order is to use one of our mobile channels.
Follow the prompts to take you through the process.
You will need to specify the following:
- the amount of money to send
- the recipient’s details
- the preferred collection region
- your preferred payment location or method
Use your order number as a reference when paying (see payment options). The order number should also be quoted if you have any queries or amendments related to an order.
If you prefer to transact telephonically, call our call centre on 086 001 8555 and one of our friendly customer service staff will help you to place your order.
In accordance with South African law, all Mukuru customers need to conform to the requirements of the Financial Intelligence Centre Act (FICA). This means that all customers will need to provide the following documents in order to register with Mukuru.
- Proof of Identity – one of the following documents: South African ID / Foreign Passport / Asylum papers / ETD – Emergency Travel Document / BI-1155 – if you have applied for regularisation bring your stamped BI-1155 form, Plus any photo ID.
- Proof of Income – one of the following: Payslip from your employer / Letter of Employment Plus Form (1) / Self Employed Form, stamped at your local police station.
- Proof of Residency – one of the following: A utility bill – (example) an electricity, telephone or television account that shows your address / Bank statement – if you have a bank account in South Africa / Landlord’s letter confirming you are staying at his/her address, Plus a utility bill in the landlord’s name.
What are my Payment Options?
Payments can be made to Mukuru in one of the following ways:
- Cash: via any of our retail partners. Please remember to quote your order number as the reference so that we can track your payment.
- Online or Telephone Banking: by transferring money to our bank accounts using the online banking or telephone banking options offered by your bank account. Please remember to quote your order number as the reference so that we can track and match your payment. Our banking details will be sent to you if you choose to pay via one of our banking partners.
- Mukuru Card: using your Mukuru prepaid debit card. Your card will only appear as a payment option if you activated the card and the balance in it is enough to cover your order amount.
How long will it take to be able to send money?
You can send money home today! As soon as you have signed up for your Mukuru account, either online or over the telephone, you can immediately start sending money back home.
How much money can I send?
As a new customer, you will be cleared to send up to a specified amount on your account. If you registered with a South African ID, you can send up to R1,000,000. If you registered with a foreign ID, you may send up to 12 times your monthly income – this is based on your proof of income.
How do I send money?
Quickly and easily! You can place an order using one of our mobile channels (WhatsApp, USSD or Mobi Site) or contact our call centre and we will help you to place your order. You will need to have your recipient’s details close at hand.
Cash Collections (USD)
How does my Recipient Collect US Dollars?
Your recipient will be sent a voucher number with collection details. They will need to take this voucher number, as well as the name of their sender, the amount they are collecting and their proof of ID to one of our collection partners. Our partners vary from banks and retail outlets to mobile wallets.
How long before US Dollars are ready for Collection?
USD is ready for collection instantly once payment is confirmed. Confirmations can be made the same day if cash deposits are made before 1pm in the UK. Card purchases are confirmed by our validation team every hour.
Telephonic card purchases are instant.
Queries, Complaints and General Information
I am worried about an order what should I do?
Please contact our support department if you have any concerns about your order or dial *130*567# and select the call back option and we will call you or chat directly to our support staff using the Mukuru website.
Please quote your order number when you call so that we can help you quickly.
Where Can I make a complaint?
Direct any complaints to our support department. Please quote your order number when you call so that we can help you quickly.
Contact us during Office Hours: Mon – Sat: 07:00 – 19:00 GMT+2