Mukuru Money Card
All of our customers in South Africa qualify for a Mukuru Money debit card. If you already have a bank account Mukuru Money can be used as a secondary account to manage your money transfers.
With a Mukuru Money Card you can:
Send Money Safely
Withdraw at ATMs
Swipe at Retailers
How do I load my Mukuru Card?
For cash deposits at Shoprite / Checkers / Usave, please follow the steps below:
- Make a deposit wiCode request by dialing *130*567# and choose the card option or via the Mukuru App
- You will receive a SMS with a wiCode
- Simply walk into any Shoprite / Checkers / Usave and load your card using the wiCode
- Funds are instantly loaded onto your Mukuru Card
(wiCode is valid for 72 hours)
Read more about How to Load your Mukuru Card.
For EFT deposits, please use the details below:
- Bank Name: Grobank
- Beneficiary Name: (Your name)
- Account Number: 11 digit unique Mukuru Money number
- Branch Code: 410506
Please note that the Mukuru Money Number is NOT an account number. It is your unique customer number linked to your debit card.
Where do I find my 11 digit unique Mukuru Money number?
Dial *130*567# and choose the card option, call 086 001 8555 or via the Mukuru App.
This account DOES NOT SUPPORT:
- Direct Debit
- Internet Banking
- Online Payments
- International Bank Transfers
- Wire transfers to other banks
Frequently Asked Questions about the Mukuru Card
How do I activate my Mukuru card?
Option 1: EFT transfer of at least R100 using your 11 digit unique Mukuru Money number into Bank of Athens.
Option 2: Cash deposit using a wiCode at any Shoprite / Checkers / Usave by dialing *130*567# and requesting a wiCode on your phone.
How do I check my balance?
- SMS your card number to 34246.
- View your balance at an ATM.
- Dial *130*567# and follow the prompts.
How do I buy airtime?
Dial *130*567# and follow the prompts.
How do I send money internationally and locally?
Simply dial *130*567#, call 086 001 8555 or visit our mobi site www.mukuru.mobi or Mukuru App.
How do I set my USSD Secret Pin for my phone?
To set your USSD Secret PIN, dial *130*567#, choose the card option and follow the prompts.
How do I reset my Mukuru Card ATM Pin?
Send your ID or Passport number with the last 4 digits of the card number to 34246.
What do I do if my card is stolen, lost or my PIN is compromised?
Dial *130*567#, choose card option and follow the options to stop your card. If you experience a problem using USSD: Call 086 001 8555 (Call centre office hours only) or call 086 111 5196 (between 09h00 – 23h00).
- Please note that if the call centre is experiencing high call volumes it might delay your card being stopped.
- Your card is like cash. If it is stolen, you will lose the funds in your card.
How long does it take to load funds on my card?
24 – 48 hours.
If my card is blocked when money is transferred how do I get my money?
Send us a copy of your POP and we will trace your payment.
If my employer does not use the correct details is my money lost?
NO, send us a copy of your POP and we will trace your payment.
Can I deposit cheques into my card and how long do they take to clear?
YES, 14 working days.
What happens if my employer wants a refund?
They need to send a written request to email@example.com.
I had a payment made for me a long time ago. Can I still get my funds?
YES, send us a copy of your POP and we will trace your payment.
How can I get my statement and EFT details?
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org / call the CC/ via USSD.
What happens if I have no money for the card fees?
They are collected the next time money is deposited.
How do I unblock my card?
Call the CC and request your card to be unblocked.
What happens if more than R25000 is transferred for me?
R24999.99 is loaded onto your card and the balance goes to your reserve account. Funds are then topped up each morning.
Can I use my card outside SA?
No, the Mukuru Money Card is for use only in SA.
Can I get payment from outside SA?
No, only payments made within SA can be loaded.
Can I transfer funds to another Mukuru Card Holder?
How will I know if there is money loaded onto my card?
An SMS is sent to you when funds are loaded / deducted from your card.
What do I do if there is money missing from my card?
BLOCK YOUR CARD immediately, then call the Call Centre on 086 001 8555.
Card fees for the Mukuru Card in South Africa are as follows:
Transactional Card Fees
- Once off activation fee R45.00
- Card Load fee R4.74 per load
- Cash deposit fee at a bank R7.10 + 2.78%
- Cash deposit at a Mukuru branch 2.78% of total amount
- Cheque deposit R43.00
- Transfer to another Mukuru Card R9.99
- Point of sale transaction at merchants Free
- Monthly Fee R26.00
- SMS balance enquiry R2.10
- Standard Bank ATM Transaction R10.00
- Other Banks ATM transaction R18.40
- Standard Bank ATM balance enquiry R3.10
- Other Banks ATM balance enquiry R4.65
- Pin Reset Fee R5.75 per reset request
- Withdrawal fee R19.99
- Deposit fee R9.99
- Pin Reset Fee R5.75 per reset request
Cashback Withdrawals at Retailers
- R3.77 per cashback with purchase
- R4.53 per cashback without a purchase
Maximum balance per card: R25 000
- (Balance on the card should not exceed R25 000 at any given point.)
Maximum monthly load per card: R25 000
- (Maximum load per card per month should not exceed R25 000)
Maximum daily ATM withdrawal per card: R5 000
- POS transactions are unlimited
- Minimum deposit of R100
- You must sign the back of the card in ink immediately when you receive it.
- When using POS devices, always check that the card returned to you is yours.
- Report lost or stolen cards or those not returned by calling 086 001 8555. Similarly, if your PIN has been compromised, stop your card immediately.
- Only enter your PIN when prompted to do so by the POS device.
- Do not disclose your PIN number/s to anyone.
- To reset your USSD secret PIN, call 086 001 8555 or chat to a consultant on our Mukuru App for assistance.
- You must memorise your PIN or keep a record of it in a safe place, separate from your card. Do not give your PIN to anyone (even family members).
- You must keep us updated with your personal information so you can continue to receive product updates.
- For further information, consult the Mukuru Card Terms and Conditions