Mukuru Funeral Benefit Terms and Conditions
Updated: 30 August 2023
For more information contact us on +27860 018 555 or [email protected]
The Mukuru Funeral Benefit product is part of the Mukuru Rewards Program. Please also review the Mukuru Rewards Program Terms and Conditions.
What do you get?
Under this funeral benefit, you will be covered for one calendar month (a calendar month means from the 1st day of the month to the last day of that same month (1 January 2022 – 31 January 2022)). We call this the “coverage period”. Your cover period will be for the calendar month following the date of remittance. If you pass away during the coverage period and the claim is approved (because the qualifying criteria has been met), the funeral benefit will pay out up to an amount of up to R15,000 (fifteen thousand Rand) (“the benefit amount”). This benefit amount is made up as follows:
• R5,000 funeral cover;
• R5,000 accidental death (if applicable);
• R5,000 death due to riots (if applicable).
• You do not automatically qualify for the full R15,000 cover. The R5000 funeral cover is a guaranteed amount. The cause of death shall determine if the accidental death-cover and/or death due to riots-cover is to be paid out. The accidental death cover due to riots benefit will not be paid if death is due to an individual’s participation in a riot but rather if they are a victim of a riot.
• This funeral benefit only covers you. The funeral benefit does not cover your spouse, children, parents, extended family or any other person.
Qualifying Criteria – what do I need to do to get the funeral benefit?
- Be 18 years or older (as verified by Mukuru);
- Live in South Africa and have a valid:
- South African ID
- Foreign ID
- SA Asylum Document
- SA Workers Permit
- Have a Mukuru Profile and be a Rewards Programme member;
- Send a single transaction amount of R700* (seven hundred Rand) or more to a recipient of your choice (living outside of South Africa), using the Mukuru international remittance service;
- Make payment of your Mukuru international remittance order;
- Comply with Mukuru’s request for outstanding personal information (if applicable)**
*Please note that we reserve the right to change this amount, in which case we will update these terms. Your current active policy will however remain unaffected.
** If selected personal information fields inside your Mukuru profile are either missing or incorrect, you will not be able to qualify for the funeral benefit, Mukuru will be unable to provide the funeral benefit to you and you will have no claim against Mukuru in this regard. Mukuru will use its reasonable endeavours to reach out to you to request that you provide the outstanding personal information but does not guarantee any communications and it will remain your responsibility to ensure that the personal information inside your Mukuru profile is complete and accurate. If you still want to qualify for the funeral benefit (and you meet the rest of the qualifying criteria) you would need to provide the outstanding personal information to Mukuru prior to the start of the first day of the month in which you would have been covered.
If you do not successfully pay for your remittance transaction, or if you pay for your remittance transaction but then later cancel your remittance transaction, or your transaction is cancelled or does not go through, for any other reason, you will not qualify for the funeral benefit.
What period will I be covered for?
- You are only covered for one calendar month at any point in time. The cover will end on the last day of the calendar month in which you received the cover.
- Your coverage period will only start on the first day of the next month. That means that if you meet the qualifying criteria on the 5th of April, your coverage period will only start on the 1st of May (until 31 May).
- You can only qualify for the benefit once in a month. If you meet the qualifying criteria again in the same month, for example 20th of April, you will not gain any additional cover. You will still only qualify for one calendar month’s cover, starting on 1st of May. But if you qualified for coverage on 5th of April, and your coverage period starts on 1 May and you then meet the qualifying criteria during the month in which you are enjoying cover, for example 20 May, your next coverage period will start on 1st of June.
Important information for claiming
- The valid documents (South African ID, Passport, Foreign ID, SA Asylum Document, SA Workers Permit) of both the deceased and the nominated beneficiary need to be submitted for the claim to be successful.
Who receives the benefit and how to claim?
- The benefit will be paid out to your nominated beneficiary. Your nominated beneficiary must reside in the Republic of South Africa. If no nominated beneficiary was received by the Insurer, the benefit will be paid to your surviving spouse. If no spouse, to your parent(s). If no parent, to your oldest child or if no child, to the person who paid for the funeral. Any of the aforementioned beneficiaries must however have a bank account in South Africa.
- The claimant must contact Mukuru via email at [email protected] or contact 086 001 85556.
- The claimant must submit a claim to Mukuru within 6 (six) months of your death, unless there are extenuating circumstances for the late submission acceptable to the Insurer.
- The claimant must submit the supporting documents listed in clause 6.3 of the Mukuru Funeral Benefit Policy Schedule.
- We are not liable if the claimant provides inaccurate or insufficient information as part of the claims process. Mukuru will inform the claimant of any deficiencies in information.
When will you not be covered?
- If you do not meet the qualifying criteria set out above;
- Your death occurs during a period in which you were not covered by the funeral benefit;
- A claimant tries to claim after 6 (six) months following your death, unless there are extenuating circumstances for the late submission acceptable to the insurer;
- Failure to provide all required supporting documentation with the funeral claim;
- If any of the documents submitted to Mukuru is deemed fraudulent.
What if my claimant wants to lodge a dispute regarding a claim?
Contact Mukuru at [email protected]
If unsatisfied with the outcome, the claimant can contact the insurer and if still unhappy thereafter can contact the Long-term Insurance Ombudsman (see contact details below).
Do I have to pay a premium for this funeral benefit?
No, there is no premium that you need to pay in order to get this funeral benefit
Is there a waiting period?
The cover has no waiting period.
Your personal information is important to us. You consent to us processing your personal information for the purposes of providing this cover to you. Your personal information will at all times be processed in accordance with our Mukuru Rewards Program Terms and Conditions and our Privacy Notice.
|YOUR INTERMEDIARY||Your Underwriting Manager / Administrator|
|Business Name: Mukuru Financial Services (Pty) Ltd. Reg: 2008/025860/07Physical & Postal Address: Waverley Business Park, Building 20, Unit 101, Wyecroft Road, Observatory, Cape TownTelephone: 086 001 8556E-mail: [email protected]FAIS registration (FSP No): 45517Claim Contact Details & Procedure: 086 001 8556Complaints Contact Details: 286 001 8556Compliance Officer: Mr P CoetzeeConflict of Interest: Mukuru has a policy in place and is available on request.Professional Indemnity and/or Fidelity Cover: Mukuru has a PI & Fidelity cover in place.||Business Name: Siyavika Risk Solutions (Pty) Ltd, Reg 2002/010812/07Physical address: Alenti Office Park, Building G, Witherite Road, The Willows, 0040Postal Address: PO Box 1463, Faerie Glen, Pretoria, 0043Telephone: 086 177 4688E-mail: [email protected] FAIS registration (FSP No): 44999Claim Contact Details & Procedure: 086 177 4688Complaints Contact Details: 086 177 4688Compliance Officer: Mrs G BeukesConflict of Interest: Siyavika has a policy in place and is available on request.Professional Indemnity and/or Fidelity Cover: Siyavika Risk Solutions has Professional Indemnity Cover & Fidelity Guarantee cover in place.|
|Your Insurer||Premiums||Other Matters|
|Business Name: Guardrisk Life Limited. Reg: 1999/013922/06Physical Address: The Marc, Tower 2, 129 Rivonia Road, Sandton, 2196Postal Address: PO Box 786015, Sandton,2146Telephone: 011 669 1000E-mail: [email protected] FAIS registration (FSP No): 76Complaints Contact Details: 086 033 3361Complaints E-mail: [email protected]Compliance E-mail: [email protected]Conflict of Interest: Guardrisk has a conflict-of-interest management policy in place and is available on the website: www.guardrisk.co.za Professional Indemnity and/or Fidelity Cover: Guardrisk Life Limited has Professional Indemnity Cover & Fidelity Guarantee cover in place.||Manner of payment of premium is based on transaction concluded.||You will be informed of any material changes to the information about the Intermediary, Insurer and or Underwriting Manager provided above. If We fail to resolve Your complaint satisfactorily, You may submit Your complaint to the Ombudsman of Long-Term Insurance.|
|Waiver of RightsNo insurer and/or intermediary may request or induce in any manner a client to waiver any right or benefit conferred on the client by/or in terms of any provisions of the said Code, or recognise, accept, or act on any such waiver by a client. Any such waiver is null and void|
|Particulars of the Long-Term Insurance Ombudsman (for claims or services related matters)||Particulars of the Financial Sector Conduct Authority (for market conduct matters)|
|Postal Address: Private Bag X45, Claremont, Cape Town, 7700 Telephone: 021 657 5000 Share call : 086 010 3236 Fax Number: 021 274 0951 Email: [email protected]||Postal Address: PO Box 35655, Menlo Park, 0102 Telephone: 012 428 8000 Fax Number: 012 347 0221 Email: [email protected]|
|Particulars of FAIS Ombudsman (for advice/Policy related matters)||Particulars of the Information Regulator(for personal information breaches)|
|Postal Address : PO Box 74571, Lynnwood Ridge, 0040Telephone : 012 470 9080Fax Number : 012 348 3447 Email : [email protected]||Postal Address : PO Box 31533, Braamfontein, Johannesburg, 2017Telephone : +27-010-023-5200Cell Number : +27-082-746-4173Email : [email protected]|