Mukuru is rising to meet one of our customer’s greatest needs – introducing our MUKURU FUNERAL BENEFIT for all our customers in South Africa, at ZERO COST TO YOU!
The monthly benefit is worth up to R15 000 and will payout the following amounts to your beneficiary in the event of death.
- R5 000 natural death – guaranteed cash pay-out to the beneficiary in the event of the Mukuru customer/sender passing away.
- R5 000 accidental death – the beneficiary will be paid an additional R5 000 in the event of the sender passing away due to accidental death (if applicable).
- R5 000 riots – The beneficiary will be paid an additional R5 000 if the sender passes away due to a riot (if applicable).
How to get the MUKURU FUNERAL BENEFIT?
- Create an international Mukuru money transfer order of R700 or more on our Whatsapp (+2786 001 8555) or USSD (*130*567#) channel
- Pay for it at any one of our Mukuru branches, using your Mukuru Card or at one of our partners
- Opt into our Rewards Programme and complete the details of your beneficiary. That’s it!
- To maintain the benefit, you need to send R700 or more every month.
Please note: The benefit will cover you, as the sender, for the following month. So, if you send over R700 on 5 September, the benefit will start on 1 October and the beneficiary will be paid out the respective amount should you pass away during the month of October.
Already sent over R700?
Congratulations! Please ensure you have opted into our Rewards Programme and update your beneficiary details (Main Menu – Insurance – Mukuru Funeral Benefit) by clicking here.
Also, make sure that you have updated your beneficiary details here.
Mukuru Funeral Cover
We believe everyone matters, which is why Mukuru Funeral Cover will give you peace of mind knowing that your extended family members can also be covered.
To apply for Mukuru Funeral Cover, click here
Ways to sign up for FREE
- You must be a Mukuru customer to be eligible for this benefit visit self-service platforms: Main Menu- Insurance- Mukuru Funeral Benefit (Whatsapp, USSD) for more information and T&Cs
- For now, customers will only qualify for the benefit if they create their order via Whatsapp and USSD. We are working on having it on the App and we will notify customers as soon as it’s live
- Customers sending money internationally will qualify for the Mukuru Funeral Benefit only
- Under this Mukuru Funeral Benefit, customers will be covered for one calendar month only
- Customers do not automatically qualify for the full R15 000 cover. The R5 000 funeral cover is a guaranteed amount. The cause of death shall determine if the accidental death cover and/or death due to riots-cover is to be paid out.
- Accidental Death & Riot subject to additional requirements as set out in claims requirement documentation.
- Mukuru Financial Services (Pty) Ltd is an authorised FSP (FSP 45517). Underwritten by Guardrisk Life Limited, an authorised financial services provider (FSP 76) and licensed life insurer. Administered by Siyavika Risk Solutions (Pty) Ltd (FSP 44999).
Is there any paperwork that needs to be filled in?
- You will be prompted to join the Mukuru Rewards programme after a qualifying send, once you consent you will get an SMS to add a beneficiary and view T&Cs on the Mukuru Self-Help Menu
- You also need to complete the details of the beneficiary that you want the money to be paid to.
- The beneficiary must be based in South Africa
- Then you just need to send one international money transfer order of R700 or more every month to keep your benefit active.
I signed up for the Mukuru Funeral Cover last year to cover myself and my family. Will this Funeral Benefit cover me and my family too?
No. The Mukuru Funeral Cover and the Mukuru Funeral Benefit are two separate policies. If you have the Mukuru Funeral Cover, it will cover yourself and your family. The Mukuru Funeral Benefit can serve as an additional benefit but will only cover you, not your family as well. You can opt-in to be covered by both policies, but you will still need to pay your monthly premium for the Mukuru Funeral Cover to ensure you and your family are covered
Do I still need to pay for premiums for my Mukuru Cover if I have the Mukuru Benefit?
Yes, you will need to continue paying your premiums for the Mukuru Funeral Cover, as these are two separate policies.
Can I add my mom to this benefit as well?
- This free Funeral Benefit will only pay-out in the event that the sender passes away, it does not cover family members but will pay out to the beneficiary that the sender listed.
- The beneficiary must live in South Africa. However, Mukuru does have Funeral Cover options available for customers that can cover your extended family.
I created my money transfer order via the Mukuru App and now I see that I’m not being covered by this benefit?
- You can create your order on any platform, but you will only be able to consent and view your benefit on Whatsapp and USSD. We are working on having you view the benefit on the App and we will notify customers as soon as it’s live.
I sent a local money transfer of R800 to my cousin who lives in South Africa too – but I didn’t get the Funeral Benefit?
- Customers sending money locally within South Africa do not qualify for this benefit. Only customers sending money internationally will qualify for the Mukuru Funeral Benefit
What does it cost?
- It’s FREE, you don’t need to pay for this benefit, it is part of the Mukuru Rewards Programme.
- To qualify, all you need to do is send R700 or more every month & consent to Mukuru Rewards Programme.
Can I change my beneficiary?
- Yes, you can use the Self-Service Channel on WhatsApp or USSD to change your beneficiary and details at any time.
Can my beneficiary be non-South African?
- Yes, a beneficiary can be a non-South African however must be residing in South Africa
I have sent a total of R700 this month, but did not qualify again for the Mukuru Funeral Benefit?
- Double-check the amounts sent. One of the money transfer orders must be a minimum amount of R700 and it would need to be sent to an international recipient (not locally in South Africa) to qualify.
- Moreover, you need to consent to be part of the Mukuru Rewards Programme when you qualified for the benefit. Want to consent, visit our Self-Help Menu > Insurance> Mukuru Funeral Benefit and consent now
How to claim
FOR MORE INFORMATION ON THE MUKURU FUNERAL BENEFIT: Contact us on 086 001 8556, request a callback or use the live chat functionality via our Whatsapp channel (option 5 > Help me)
Mukuru Funeral Benefit is only available to customers in South Africa.